This. Recipe. Everyone needs it and I’m finally sharing it. I make these bars every week and the recipe only lives IN MY HEAD which is not a good place for it so I’m finally documenting it! These bars are perfect for a make ahead breakfast, a snack at any time of day or dessert. Is it breakfast? Is it a cookie? It can be whatever you want.
The Best Oatmeal Bars (vegan + GF)
- 2 cups oat flour (put dry oatmeal in a blender and blend until it resembles course flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup + a splash more of milk alternative or water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I like the enjoy life mega chunks in these. Mini chips don’t work as well)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (the runny kind)
Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9×5 bread pan with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl combine the oat flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add the maple syrup, milk alternative and vanilla and stir to combine. I like it to be almost a little runny at this point. It should be runnier than cookie dough. Next, stir in the chocolate chips. Last, add the peanut butter and gently stir to combine. The peanut butter will make it about the consistency of cookie dough. Press the dough into the prepared pan using a spatula to get it flat.
Bake for 20 minutes at 350°. Let it cool completely before cutting into 8 squares. Store in the refrigerator